Sunday, 17 June 2012

A Treasure from my Collection: My Nana's Brooch

I was hoping to nip to the Car Boot today before work but it was raining torrentially this morning so it was cancelled. I really need to make an effort to find an Indoor Car Boot for occasions like these.

Anyway, I thought I'd share another of my treasures with you. This is my Nana Ursula's brooch, that I mentioned in this post.



My Nana's Brooch worn on my coat

I love it and I do get quite a few compliments when I wear it, mostly because it is unusual. I think photo brooches are quite hard to find - I've certainly never come accross one where the owner chose to put a photo of their dog rather than their sweetheart! That probably tells you quite a bit about my Nan. I don't really know much about the brooch itself to be honest -I found it when we were going through my Nana's things after she died and I had to keep it. I knew it was my Nana's dog, who my mum told me was called Peggy. My Nan had talked about having had cats, but she'd never mentioned having a dog.

As I mentioned in that post, a stallholder at Stockport's Vintage Village told me it was probably Edwardian, so it must have been old when my Nana had it (she was only born in 1928). I hadn't realised it was that old, I had just assumed it was the same age as the photograph. I think the brooch is made of brass plated with something and it does look well-made. I've just had a quick look on eBay and there are some very similar ones that are Rose Gold apparently and they're either Victorian or Edwardian.


Back of Brooch
Here's the back of the brooch for those of you who are interested. It's pretty scruffy so you can see why I thought it wasn't an expensive brooch. Obviously this is a bit of a botched job, but it keeps the photo secure.
I'm going to keep an eye out for more brooches like this - they'd make a lovely wall feature I think. I'm also on the lookout for the perfect vintage locket or perhaps a brooch to put a photo of our first cat Penelope in as well.



Nikki x

P.S. Talking of photographs, I don't think I won any of my Auction Lots as the Auction House hasn't been in touch. Oh well, nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment