Monday, 4 June 2012

Hello Queenie


I’ve noticed that pretty much all of the vintage blogs I follow have made some sort of mention of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. I however am not remotely interested I’m afraid. Also, whilst most people are getting today (Monday) and Tuesday off, I have to work (that’s working for a cultural institution for you). However I do get two days off in lieu, which I’m taking this weekend to go on another Vintage Bender, so I guess I can thank Queenie for something.

Anyway, it's 1950s week at my work this week to celebrate the Jubilee, so all the staff have to wear 1950s clothing. This is my outfit for today:


1950s Dress - £35, Pop Boutique (Whitechapel)
Petticoat - £30, Rock n Roll Years on eBay
Belt - £3, New Look (ages ago)
White Tights - £6, Accessorize
I took this photo myself with the self-timer on A's camera and it's the only place in the flat where there's enough space to take pictures - the bedroom. Again, we hate the wallpaper - unfortunately it's in most of the house. It's hard to take photos of yourself. I've mentioned it before but I'm not a fan of having my photo taken (as you can probably tell) and I'm more used to seeing myself in the mirror. All I think when I look at this picture is "boobs, boobs, boobs, awkward" lol. I do love this dress and the ribbon and star print makes me think of it as a party dress. The petticoat is a soft nylon one (the word "floofy" comes to mind), rather than a scratchy net one and it's 25 inches long. I really need to get another one in 23 inches as this one is too long for most of my dresses. The belt I wear loads and the same goes for the white tights - I wear them pretty much everyday but unfortunately it looks like Accessorize have stopped doing them :(.

This is actually the first time I've worn a petticoat and it's taken a bit of getting used to. First of all you take up a lot of space - I'd never realised the aisles on buses were so narrow and I took up a lot of room on the bus seat. Also, it does move in a funny way when you walk - it kind of bounces out in front of you, especially if you've got a heavy coat on over it. It's hard to sit down sometimes too - I sit on a computer chair all day at work and I found it awkward to sit on the chair properly and I felt like I was sliding off all the time!


I do love the line it gives the dress though, I just don't think I'll be wearing one every day :)

Nikki x

No comments:

Post a Comment